Carver Banjos DIY Kits

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Carver Banjos
    Keymaster

Use this thread to show off your Carver Banjo DIY kit builds, swap tips and techniques, or ask for advice from fellow builders.

Carver Banjos
    Keymaster

Hello to anyone reading this out there. I’ve been wanting to add a forum to this site for a long time. There are now thousands of carver kit owners out there and over the years many have sent me photos and video links of their builds. I think it’d be cool to get people discussing their builds here. I am admittedly bad at answering all emails, so I figure it’ll be a lot easier to stay in touch with people here. I want kit owners to be able to help other kit owners with any questions. Once you put one of these banjos together you will likely have some tips to help out the next person.
    I know there are other banjo forums out there, I don’t want to take anyone away from them. My main goal for this forum is to build a community based around the DIY banjo kits offered here on this site and my personal goal is to get to know my customers on a more personal level. Thanks for checking out the site! Anyone is welcome to join the forum, its free to join.
    If this forum doesn’t really take off, as its just an experiment, I’ll use it to post updates on new kits and to give the backstories on how they came to be.
    -Brian Carver

Georgi Nikolov
    Participant

Hello Brian and All,

Hope you are doing well!

You see, I’m in a bit of a pickle.

Yesterday I was playing on my banjo just fine, however today I saw that the leather on the ring is “dented” (don’t know if that is the right term), which basically brings the level of the bridge down and every string is now buzzing whenever I press and hit it.

Got any suggestions on how can I fix this and what may have caused it? I was thinking on putting something below the leather where the bridge is, so it might support it and bring its level up.

Best regards,
    Georgi

Martin Newman
    Participant

No sure what you are referring to in the description of your problem. Can you post a closeup photo showing what has changed? That might be helpful.

Carver Banjos
    Keymaster

Hey guys, my apologies for not being active on this forum this past week. I have been on a small vacation in a national park (BANFF) without any service. I’ll be back in a few days and follow up with everyone! Thanks for posting here!

Martin Newman
    Participant

Hey Brian,
    If you look at my most recent gourd kit postings you can see that I couldn’t figure out how to attach photos which were small enough to fit within upload limit. Is there an easy, non-technical work around so I can resize and post more photos?

Carver Banjos
    Keymaster

Hey Georgi,
    Have you sorted the issue? It’s hard for me to understand exactly the problem just from your description. If you could post a picture it would be useful.
    I’m thinking what could be dented? I suppose the skin could be loose which is causing the bridge to sit lower and this would cause string buzz. If this is the case, the skin might have pulled through the tacks due to shock, or sudden humidity changes. Maybe the skin was tacked on too tightly or maybe wood glue was not used when tacking the skin?
    Does the neck angle need to be adjusted? You can change the string height by setting the dowel to the rim at a different position.
    Is there extra string ends on the tailpiece where it was tied? Maybe the extra bit is resting on the drumhead and vibrating when you play.
    I’m sorry for taking so long to get back here, I’ll be checking often for new posts. -Brian

Carver Banjos
    Keymaster

Hey Martin, thank you for contributing to the forum! I’m still looking into a way to post larger pics here. Sorry I’ve not been here much, I’ll be checking the forum more often!

Georgi Nikolov
    Participant

Hey Brian,

Yep, I managed to solve the issue. Seems like I haven’t placed the skin correctly, so I removed it and put it back on. Now it’s staying real firm.

Carver Banjos
    Keymaster

Great, I’m glad you got it sorted out!

Carver Banjos
    Keymaster

Hey Martin, I’ve finally got the file size upload limit raised. Feel free to try it out. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Martin Newman
    Participant

Thanks much for doing this. Please check out my recent posts, now with full uploaded attachments.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.