How to Sand the Fingerboard?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    alexander
    Participant

Hello! I received my kit the other day, and I’m very excited about it. It’s fretless, and I want to make sure I’m careful sanding it so I don’t end up with an uneven fingerboard.

Does anyone have any advice on how to sand the fingerboard evenly? I’ve heard of people making large sanding boards to get perfectly even surfaces. Should I do that? I think that would require me to remove the fifth-string nut. Is that advised, or even necessary?

I’m new to this kind of thing –– maybe I’m overthinking it. I’d be happy to hear any thoughts you all have! Thank you!

Carver Banjos
    Keymaster

Hi Alexander, thanks for posting
    You can remove the small brass string guide with a flathead screwdriver, it’s just a wood screw.
    I’ve already rough sanded the fingerboard and flattened it before sale. Just a quick hand-sand with a folded piece of 220 followed by 320 grit will have it ready for varnish. You could wrap a small flat block of wood with the sandpaper if you want to insure the fingerboard stays totally flat, but it’s not required in my opinion. Please post pics when you are all assembled!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.