Gourd Kit Help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    WilliamGibbs54
    Participant

I have two gourd kits that have set for several years. I am getting ready to start on then, but cannot find the instructions that came with them. Construction looks pretty straightforward and the video is great however, I could not find anything that explains what the four tiny through and through holes that are drilled into the peg board. They appear to line up with the four pegs. Are they used for something or were they used in the drilling of the peg holes??? Thanks in advance for any help….Bill G

WilliamGibbs54
    Participant

Here is a pic of the holes….,

WilliamGibbs54
    Participant

Here is a pic of the holes….,

WilliamGibbs54
    Participant

Here is a photo of the holes. They could be markers for where to file down grooves in the nut for the strings. As you can see, the nut is not grooved.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Carver Banjos
    Keymaster

Hi Bill, thanks for joining the forum!
    The strings will go over the zero fret and through the small hole, come out the back side and then wrap around the peg on the back of the peghead.
    No need for notches in the nut because the small holes are spaced to place each string where it needs to be- therefore we use a simple fret here.
    I used to route the strings like this to get a good downward tension on the string at the fret zero nut, and then there was no need to make an angled or scooped peghead. It was all to make things as simple as possible. I’ll look for a time stamp in a video where I show this.
    Hope that helps!

Carver Banjos
    Keymaster

Start watching at the 5 minute mark

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.