Welcome

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Carver Banjos
    Keymaster

Hey everyone, I’m starting this new forum to welcome questions from customers that need specific help with their banjo kit.
    I will usually respond on here a lot faster than email. I want to help customers and make the answers public to others with similar questions.

An example of a common issue:
    Customer:
    Hey Brian, I’ve been playing my americana kit and it has a buzz on the 2nd string. How can I remedy this?
    Response:
    Let’s diagnose where the buzz is coming from exactly and then we can make adjustments.
    Scenario 1.
    Buzz when plucking string goes away when ever string is fretted.
    Diagnosis: the buzz is coming from the nut. 2 things possible solutions:
    1. Make sure the string is wound downward on the peg and is as close to the headstock as possible. The more downward tension at the nut will insure the string does not buzz. If the problem persists try step 2.
    2. Make sure the nut slot is smooth and unobstructed. A very slight angle in the slot can help. Low side will be towards the peghead, high side will be towards the bridge.

Scenario 2.
    Buzz is happening only when I fret at 3rd fret.
    Diagnosis: You must have a high fret.
    Solution: Look down the fretboard and see if you can confirm this.
    Usually a fret can be easily seated. Wrap a hammer in a cloth to protect the frets and give the high fret a few light taps.

Scenario 3.
    The buzzing is happening any time I pluck the string, no matter which fret positions or open string etc.
    Diagnosis: The buzz is likely coming from the bridge.
    Solutions:
    Tilt the bridge back a little and see if the buzzing goes away. You might have a flat spot on the bridge string slot.
    Reset the bridge upright. File the string slot to create a slight angle. High side will be towards the peghead, low side will be towards the tailpiece.
    If buzzing persists. Look at string height above the fingerboard. Consider raising the string action.
    Equally as important, examine the tailpiece. Are the tied ends of the strings just rubbing against the drumhead? This can cause a mysterious buzz. I usually fold a business card in half and tuck it between the tailpiece and the drumhead to silence any string end buzz.

Carver Banjos
    Keymaster

So this is an example. Feel free to start your own post to ask your specific questions.
    I will do my best to help. I also welcome other users to chime in with their own suggestions and solutions.

For questions about buying replacement parts or for more private conversations you are always welcome to email me at carverbanjos@gmail.com

CarolynQ
    Participant

Hi! The gourd banjo kit is coming along beautifully! I cannot see that the nut has any difference in the width of the slots for the strings. On the video it says each slot is sized for the strings and to make sure it’s put in the right way. Before I glue it, is there any way to tell I have it the right way?

Carver Banjos
    Keymaster

Hi CarolynQ
    In the case of the gourd banjos, the assembly video is a little out of date on that detail. The slots in the nut and the bridge are all equal in size. There’s no wrong way to orient the nut, but you may need to widen the slots for some of the strings, maybe. So put the nut in place and if you can’t get the strings to easily sit in the slots, you can widen with a folded piece of sandpaper like a file.
    Thank you very much for your support and thank you for posting here in the forum!

CarolynQ
    Participant

Thank you. That is very helpful. I already sanded a tiny bit so the strings fit.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.