Made some tweets

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Richard
    Participant

Grommets allow the use of light gauge steel strings without fear that they will slice through the leather tailpiece. And tacks reduce movement of the tailpiece which theoretically should keep the banjo in tune longer. Rock solid now.

Richard
    Participant

Grommets are available on Amazon…Craftmemore 2mm, 200 pieces for $11. An optional (I did not buy) settings tool is also available at Amazon for $19. I just used a plain hammer. Your call.

Carver Banjos
    Keymaster

Looks good Richard, what tuning are you in? How’s it sound? Any issues to note?

Richard
    Participant

Standard G tuning. Deering light gauge steel strings. It stays in tune nicely, has that steel string open back sound and the leather tailpiece reinforced with tacks is tight and may aid in keeping the strings in tune longer. No leather tearing either from the steel strings thanks to the grommets. And installing new steel strings is fast. I am very glad I went for it, thought things through and got ‘er done. Mission accomplished. Now what should I come up with next do you think? I am bored because I have no projects to work on. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.