Reply To: Banjo Workshops?

KirbyBanjo
Participant

Hey Brian, i am not the best reference, never done a building workshop before, but i have driven up to indiana for the Fiddlers Gathering and gone to Bonnaro (similar as a long weekend event):
1. I’d love to be able to walk away with a complete banjo that i’ve, one that is slightly different from what I could buy in the kits, maybe even just aesthetically, would be cool. Maybe start earlier in the process, actually cut the wood pieces, might be cool, if not too much of a liability (or too likely I’d ruin a good piece of wood with my very little woodworking experience).
Playing workshops could be a nice addition, too. Camping and playing with other musicians would be cool, although I’m a beginner.
2. I have no frame of reference for price, but my wife said around $600, I thought closer to $800, especially if food is provided. I don’t know the costs of running one of these or if insurance costs would be required or paying musicians to come play…
3. Three days? Maybe 4? Again, no frame of reference for a building workshop. The 9-5 jobs I’ve had allowed taking a couple days around a weekend without too much trouble.
4. I have family in Monticello, IN near the Fiddlers Gathering and I think close to where you’ve said you’re located. I make it up there once or twice a year (7.5 hour drive from Tennessee). Would definitely be interested, if I could make it work.